Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What is the "Other" to the Academia?

What is intelligence? What is smartness? What is being knowledgeable? These are all concepts that are similar but different. I hear these terms used quite often and interchangeably. However, these terms should not be used to replace one another. I mention this point because I have been hearing lately a lot of criticisms that someone who doesn't have high grades isn't smart.

Here's the problem: having high grades does not mean you are smart. Certainly, it indicates you can do well on tests and manage to do well in a class, but does that lead to being intelligent? No.


Some people who get high grades are diligent, hard working students who may not be the most intelligent or smart but work hard to attain that knowledge. Some people who get high grades may be utter slackers who are naturally intelligent and can grasp concepts easily or can retain certain knowledge easier than others.

Similarly, on the converse. Not getting high grades means you are not smart. Untrue. Intelligence is how readily you can grasp concepts and attain knowledge. Knowledgeable means having lots of knowledge and information. You can be knowledgeable but not intelligent- though that is a difficult state of being to have since most knowledge people have some degree of intelligence. Being smart is being both intelligent- ie having the aptitude to learn and adapt in academic situations- and being knowledgeable- ie having the prior information with which to apply that intelligence.

Far too often, people mistake the converse of the statement to be true when both converse and original are false. I wish people who have high grades, are in higher-level classes, or are of the "academia" would be more humble when dealing with those who aren't in that academic class (figuratively and literally). It might be interesting that I make this comment seeing as how most people regard me as being of the "high academic level" in my high school. However, I find sometimes that the "smart" people can be condescending and patronizing to others they consider to be of "inferior" intelligence.

It irks me how haughty some smart people can be to others. While it may be true they aren't as smart or even as knowledgeable, it gives "us" no right to assume such a vain attitude. Humans are humans in the end and fallible. We should not assume role of superiority simply for being more intelligent.

Knowledge is not an ends, it is a means.


I have become concerned with this topic because I have met many new people this year in my new capacity as ASB President. As a result, I have slightly departed form the safety and company of the academia of my school I have grown so close and fond to. In retrospect, I find all too often that people of my "class" unassumingly take on an almost arrogant attitude to others- the other being those who don't have high GPA's, those who don't take 7 APs by the end of junior year, those who opt for lower level courses, those who aren't "overachievers." I only hope people will come to realize the dangers of such a faulty mentality towards the "other."

No comments: